Tuesday 16 October 2012

I still say no to Rapid in Pengerang



I still say no to Rapid in Pengerang
By Chua Jui Meng

THE non-sustainable Petronas Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (Rapid) project cannot be located in its present site in Pengerang.
That is still my personal stand.
When I announced at the Sept 30, 2012, Himpunan Hijau (Green Rally) that Rapid would be scrapped if PR forms the next federal government, it was based on a PKR (Parti Keadilan Rakyat) political bureau meeting decision which I fully supported.
Now that PR leaders have decided to review that stand and state that they are not against development and Rapid, I now have to make clear my personal position on this issue.
I have also stated before that I am not against sustainable development but Rapid cannot be located in its present site in Pengerang because it affects 17 villages and thousands of residents, as well as their health and wellbeing.
I stand by the people of Pengerang.
The negative impact on the environment and the ecology of Pengerang must also be considered.
Rapid is also being used as an excuse by the Johor government led by Mentri Besar Ghani Othman to grab peoples’ land cheaply by invoking the Land Acquisition Act 1960.
As far as I am concerned, I will oppose any attempt to locate any unsustainable and polluting industry in Johor that affects too many Johoreans negatively.
Such public health hazard industries must only be located in uninhabited areas.
There are still many such areas in the peninsula and East Malaysia where Rapid can be sited without affecting the people.